Green Funeral Directors
Plan A Woodland Burial Funeral
See what our families say about us
How much will a woodland burial funeral cost?
+burial ground fees
Ensuring we provide the highest quality service at an affordable price
what to expect from a Woodland Burial funeral?
Also known as a natural burial or a green burial, this type of funeral is the most environmentally friendly option. Woodland burials are rapidly growing in popularity and are often more cost effective, with the person laid to rest in one of the many beautiful natural burial grounds across the UK. Each funeral will be personalised to your individual needs, but here are some things you could expect:
If you choose a woodland burial then the coffin will need to be made from biodegradable natural materials. We have a wide selection available for you to choose from
Your chosen hearse, and limousines if requested, will transport the coffin to your chosen venue directly or via another address such as your home You do not have a to have a funeral procession if you don’t want to, and can opt for a vehicle to transport the coffin directly
Most natural burial grounds offer a ceremony facility however it is entirely possible to hold this at any venue with the owner’s permission
Our team can help provide alternative options and suggestions. You may wish to think about:
- Church – You may wish to have the ceremony within a church or religious building first followed by the burial in the Woodland Burial Ground
- Local Sports or Social Club – Were they a member of any local clubs? Most will have a private function room area where a memorial/funeral service can be held
- Your Private Home – Taking the person back home can be an important moment to say goodbye
- Any Alternative Venue – So long as you have the owner’s permission or council approval, there are no rules about where you must hold the funeral.
There is no script or specific format that you need to follow, the funeral ceremony can be whatever you choose it to be. We can match you with an experienced funeral celebrant to help you to plan every detail for the ceremony to ensure it is truly personal, including:
- Your choice of music – Traditionally an organist may play however like with all aspects of the funeral, you can personalise this however you wish. It could be your loved ones favourite songs, a live singer, a jazz band or anything you choose.
- Live streaming the funeral – With the current coronavirus pandemic, many families are making use of the live streaming facilities available within most crematoriums in London. This can be a great way to involve family members or friends who are sadly unable to attend the funeral in person.
- Eulogy and other spoken words – This can take whatever format you wish. You may wish to share some of your own personal stories, have people submit some beforehand and have them read out, or offer the opportunity for anyone to speak on the day.
- Carrying the coffin –We will provide professional coffin bearers (palbearers) for the day. Under normal circumstances we would be be able to facilitate family members to help carry the coffin however this is currently unavailable due to restrictions in place for Covid 19
At the end of the ceremony, if you choose to have one, the coffin will be carried to the graveside. The final moments before the coffin is lowered into the ground are known as ‘the committal’. You can spend this time however is right for you.
Woodland burial grounds accept wooden crosses, plaques or the chance to plant a memorial tree at the person’s grave.
You can speak to us about what is possible at your chosen burial ground and we will provide you with all of the information you need.